The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay (ISBN 0-312-28299-0) is a novel, first published in 2000, written by Michael Chabon. It is based on historical facts. The novel is set in New York around the time of World War II. The story follows the adventures of Joe Kavalier and Sammy Clay as they become part of the development of comic books and escapist and possibly inspiring works.
The story is being turned into a movie.
Some of the topics is the novel are
- the compensation (or lack of it) that went to the creators of the content in the comic books,
- the development of the genre of comic books,
- anti-Nazi themes in early comics.
This book includes some sexual topics and language that might not be appropriate for some readers.
- Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 2001
- Finalist for the PEN/Faulkner Award
- Finalist for the National Book Critics Circle Award
- Winner of the Bay Area Book Reviewer's Award
- New York Times Bestseller
- Los Angeles Times Book Award Finalist
- New York Society Library Book Award